I spent the first 15 years of my career as a Software Engineering almost exclusively in the area of System Software. Over the past 25 years I have held the position of Vice President of Engineering at six High Tech Computer Start-up Companies from Silicon Valley to Fort Lauderdale. Two of these companies I took public in Initial Public Offering (IPO). The most notable of these companies were Citrix Systems (Cloud Computing before we called it that) and The Santa Cruz Operation (the first UNIX software company). As Vice President of Engineering at these companies I managed the patent process and secured well over 1,000 patents. I have published more than a dozen technical papers and I personally hold several patents in the area of Computer Science. I have a BS in Mathematics from the University of Missouri and a MS in Computer Science from the University of Hawaii.
On a personal note, I am married with five Kids. We recently moved to Virginia Beach from Boulder, Colorado and I miss the mountains and snow skiing. My oldest Daughter is a junior this year at Christopher Newport University and my other four Kids are scattered throughout the grades at Cape Henry Collegiate School in Virginia Beach.
Research Interests: Software Development, Operating Systems, Compilers, Formal Linguistics, Automata Theory
- Bruce Chittenden, “Some Thoughts on Software Engineering”, Virginia Academy of Science, May 2012, Norfolk, Virginia
- Bruce Chittenden, “On the Use of Technologies such as Alice, Greenfoot, and Scratch to Teach Computer Science to High School Students”, Virginia Academy of Science, May 2011, Richmond, Virginia
- Bruce Chittenden, “On e-mail Reputation”, Virginia Academy of Science, May 2011, Richmond , Virginia
- Bruce Chittenden, Managing Software Development", SCO Forum 89, August 1989, Santa Cruz, California
- Bruce Chittenden, "MICRO-MAINFRAME CONNECTION", Session Chairman, Corporate PC Conference, November 1985, Los Angeles, California
- Bruce Chittenden, "UNIX to HOST Communications", Session Chairman UNIX-EXPO 85, September 1985, New York, New York
- Bruce Chittenden, "Interfacing Networks to UNIX", Uniforum 1985, January 1985, Dallas, Texas
- Bruce Chittenden, James Hyde, and Jeffrey P. Radick, "A Scheme for Terminal I/O Not Requiring Interrupts", 21st Annual Southeast Regional ACM Conference, April 1982, Durham, North Carolina
- Bruce Chittenden, "The UNIX Timesharing System for the Honeywell Level 6", TECHS 5 Symposium, September 1980, Minneapolis Minnesota.
- Bruce Chittenden and Paul J. Higgins, "The Security Kernel Approach to Secure Operating Systems", 17th Annual Southeast Regional ACM Conference. April 1979, Orlando Florida
- Bruce Chittenden, "Specification of Software as Finite State Automata", Mini Montreal 1977 Symposium. November 1977, Montreal Canada
- Bruce Chittenden, "Operating System Enhancements to Reduce Security Threats", Computer Security and Privacy Symposium, April 1977, Scottsdale Arizona
- Bruce Chittenden, "Specification of Software as Finite State Automata", Honeywell Software Productivity Symposium, April 1977, Minneapolis Minnesota